Spring has FINALLY sprung & I could not be happier. Honestly, I feel like an entirely different person in the spring. Just as the flowers are blooming & the trees are regaining their leaves, I, too, feel rejuvenated. It’s incredible how much warm/sunny weather can boost your mood.
Along with the theme of spring cleaning (check my post about spring cleaning your whole life here), I’ve been itching revamp everything in my life. This has mostly come out as buying new warm-weather clothes and beauty products, oddly enough. In general, I’m not the biggest makeup/hair/beauty routine girl, but for some reason this year I’ve been dying to try new products to change it up. It resulted in a very expensive trip to Target. It happens.
Sooooo I wanted to do a quick post about the beauty products I’m currently loving this spring/summer. Have any recommendations for me? I’d love to hear them (leave a comment below!)
Self tanning Lotion
I’m pretty fair skinned. I burn more easily than I tan, and skin cancer sucks so I’ve opted to go the self-tanning route. I’ve tried a few products & I have to say my favorite is the ever-popular Jergens lotion. It doesn’t smell bad, it’s relatively quick & easy to apply, and it looks natural (not tryna be orange, sorry). For those of you new to self-tanning, here are some tips I learned (mostly the hard way):
Tips for Self-Tanning
- Exfoliate. For real for real. Otherwise you’re going to get splotchy. You don’t have to exfoliate everywhere (although my body wash is subtly exfoliating) but definitely exfoliate your knees, elbows, ankles & neck. I know neck sounds super weird but trust me. You don’t want a splotchy neck. (I’m loving this exfoliate! Affordable & smells sooo good)
- Shave. Helps the product stay on better. If you’re not using a tanning lotion (like Jergens), I’d recommend putting on some moisturizer, let it sink in, then apply your self tanner.
- Gloves. ESPECIALLY if you’re using a lotion. No excuses here. Get some latex gloves and wear them. No one wants orange palms.
- Opt for gradual vs. instant. I’ve tried the instant stuff and while seeing results immediately is great, I find that 1. if you don’t do it PERFECTLY, streaks/missed spots are hard to fix/v noticeable and 2. it wears off quicker. Gradual is a little more mistake-proof/natural looking.
- Natural daylight is your best friend. Things that don’t lie: yoga pants, your review mirror when you need to pluck your eyebrows & natural daylight when you missed a spot self-tanning. You’ll see where you need to touch up INSTANTLY.
Sun Bum 3-in-1 spray
In the summer, I like to lay off on products/using heat on my hair every day. I was looking for a good leave in conditioner for wet hair (especially when I’m down the shore & swim in the ocean–want something to protect my hair & leave it silky smooth). I’ve been a big fan of Sun Bum for a couple years now and just discovered their 3-in-1 spray. It detangles, conditions, and protects your hair from sun damage. Aka perfect for the beach. It’s a tad pricey but a little goes a long way. Plus it smells delicious. I love how soft it makes my hair feel, especially when I let it air dry. (You can get it here.)
Happy Vibes body fragrance
I was running super low on my perfume when I walked by Bath & Body Works in the mall and saw they were having a $5 fragrance sale….After much deliberation (and spraying all the body sprays), I finally decided on Happy Vibes. It’s light and airy and perfect for summer. It actually smells “happy” which is a weird thing to say but you’ll know it when you smell it. It’s a mix of pink citrus, crisp pear, fresh honeysuckle, sheer vetiver & dewy orchid, so it’s floral-y without being overpowering. Ps. It goes on sale often so keep checking back!
Clearasil Ultra 5-In-1 Pads
If you read this blog, you know I’m a yogi (is this news to you? Catch up here.) I’m also one of those crazy people who does hot yoga even when the temperature outside is 90 degrees. Obviously hot yoga makes ya sweat & sweating can cause breakouts (ain’t nobody got time for that) so I keep Clearasil Ultra 5-In-1 Pads in my gym bag and I LOVE them. I use them right after I get out of class & my skin feels so refreshed and clean in seconds. Even if you’re not into hot yoga, they’re great for that fresh feeling after a long summer day.
BareMinerals Pure Radiance
I’ve been using BareMinerals since I was 16. I absolutely swear by it & love their foundation/bronzer a lot a lot. I just got their “all over” color, Pure Radiance. It’s a softer bronzer with a hint of gold sparkle. Perfect for that summer time glow~
Related: My 5-Minute Makeup Routine
Seriously, if you have any beauty products you lovelovelove for the spring/summer, let me know! &.